How would you like to know more and be involved in what goes on in the centre of Cirencester?
You would – then please come and join a group of likeminded people in the Park Community Group. Set up in 2010, the group was originally aligned with Park Ward, but because of ward boundary changes is now most closely aligned with Abbey Ward. We discuss and get involved with any issues that concern the town centre and environs. Anyone who lives, works or has an interest in the town centre is welcome to come to our meetings.
There is often a practical element to our activities: an early project was to organise improvements to the Riverside Walk and we now assist with the annual clearing of Gumstool Brook. The next practical project will be to help provide volunteers and to man a stall at the town’s Jubilee event in the Abbey Grounds on Thursday June 2nd.
Meetings are attended by local councillors from the town, district and county councils who provide updates on current activities. Examples of what was heard and discussed at the last meeting:
- There is a plan to introduce more vehicle electric charging points in Cirencester.
- Riverside Walk – some repair work has already been done to the pathway and more will be done this year. Discussion is taking place with Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust re the possibility of an observation platform out into the stream
- Go-ahead has been given to spruce up Brewery Court. Project primarily being funded by Cotswold District Council with some Build Back Better monies. After concern was expressed in the meeting about the dilapidated state of the old ‘fruit & veg’ shop, it was agreed that The Chair would write to Cotswold District Council to ask if any action can be taken about this.
Other matters currently on the agendas:
- Market Place/Cricklade St Parking & Traffic Control Review.
- Flood Resilience Plan.
- Health Provision in Cirencester.
- The Neighbourhood Plan.
- The Local Plan
- The Steadings Development
- Proposed Constituency boundary changes
Meetings have been conducted on Zoom during the coronavirus pandemic but we are now reverting to face to face meetings. Our next meeting will be held at 6.45pm on Thursday 19th May in ‘The Bothy’, Ashcroft Rd Cirencester GL7 1QX – They are convivial affairs with tea and coffee and sometimes something stronger!
Do come and join us!
If you need more information, please contact our secretary – Alison Horrocks
Tel: 01285 651765
To keep up to date with what´s going on in town, feel free to join our Facebook group by clicking here.